Recently I’ve started to realize how fast this year has gone by. My birthday is only a few days after the new year starts so whenever I realize the new year is almost here for everyone else, it also means a new year (age wise) will be starting for me too. I’ll be turning 23 in a little less than 1 month and there’s a lot that I’ve learned this year and a handful of things that I’m still learning. I started thinking about it so I decided to make a list of what those things are, or aren’t, and maybe by the time January 4th rolls around I’ll have learned everything that I put on this list. Here it is, the 23 things you should learn before you turn 23.
1. You don’t always have to have your life together
2. It’s not your business to judge other people
3. Exclusion is for high school
4. It’s okay to cry as much as you emotionally need to
5. It’s okay to do your own thing
6. Worrying about the past is a waste of time
7. You should try to get out of your comfort zone
8. Making new friends is an important part of life
9. Make decisions based on what you want to do, factor other people in later
10. Romantic relationships aren’t something you should make fun of, they’re actually a wonderful thing to experience.
11. Stop saying things like “My life sucks” or “Forever Alone” because it probably doesn’t and you’re probably not, respectively.
12. A grown up wardrobe is something you should start accumulating.
13. Getting drunk to the point of blacking out is something for your 21 year old self, you’re 23 drink like an adult.
14. Say thank you to your parents every chance you get (Thanks for everything Mom and Dad!).
15. Put your phone down and interact with the world around you, you might miss something great if you don’t.
16. It’s okay to treat yourself every now and then.
17. It’s okay to laugh at yourself, especially if someone is trying to laugh at you. It shows you can rise above someone being rude and that you don’t take yourself so seriously.
18. Don’t always resort to buying fast food, you’re not in college anymore so try to prepare your meals as much as possible.
19. Try to start a regular gym routine, or go to a fitness class. Good physical fitness is an important thing to have as you get older.
20. Don’t sweat the small stuff
21. Remind yourself of a few reasons to be happy everyday, I did the 100 happy days challenge and it made me realize that even on bad days there are reasons to be happy.
22. Everything will be alright
23. Make the most out of everyday
22 has been a real roller coaster of a year so I’m excited to move on to a new year with new possibilities.This list helped me realize how much I’ve learned and I hope I can grow from it in the next year. If you’re feeling like this past year has been a trying one for yourself, make your own list of things you’ve learned so you can put everything into perspective. Trust me it definitely helps!